Monday, June 21, 2010

Ironman

First day of summer...

We were supposed to go to Splash (a water park with some friends) but it was overcast and pretty cold. So I cancelled that trip and went to Plan B: going to the park with another family who happened to be free that morning. By 10:15am the four Mai's were running around at the park. Sweating. Yes, sweating, because it got hot. In fact, it got so hot that I found myself trying to stand in the shadow of the playground equipment as I watched over Taede. I started feeling bad about canceling the Splash trip -- especially when Kael would say to me every once in a while, with very pointed looks: "Mom, I'm so hot" and "It's really hot here" and "I wish I could find a way to cool myself down." OK OK! I get it -- you're disappointed. As if my guilt-o-meter wasn't already in the red zone.

Then I get a text from Anne, Kael's friend Ella's mom. The family we were supposed to meet at Splash. Her text read something like: The water's warm, not crowded at all and Ella's really disappointed.

Sheesh.

Given the increasingly hostile environment I was in, I decided that since it was only 11am, and if I could hustle, we could make Splash by 12pm, stay until 1:30 or so and sleep the rest of the afternoon. Let me tell you, when I proposed the change of plans, I have never seen my kids haul ass so quickly to get ready or listen so well.

We get to Splash and play until 1:45pm. Taede fell asleep for about 20 minutes there and about 20 minutes home. Basically just enough to take the edge off and not nap the rest of the afternoon. Ugh.

I had to wake Malia up at 4:30pm otherwise her bedtime would be compromised. She didn't stagger out of bed until close to 5:00pm. Taede was running on fumes. Kael was pretty quiet. Not stupor quiet. Just...quiet.

And then I remembered it was Monday. Monday is Kael's swim squad day (his swim strokes class). Where for 35 minutes he swims back and forth across the pool, getting timed.

DOH!

So we started this morning with a 6:30am "Psst, Mom. Do I have school today?" to a park date to Splash to swim squad.

My little Ironman was asleep before the covers were pulled over his head.

Summer has begun!


No comments: